Monday, July 21, 2008

The Big "Ask"
I've recently rediscovered an audio recording of the book "The Alladin Factor." The whole premise of the book is to ask for what you want in life. Think about that for a moment. How simple a concept and yet how many of us are afraid to do it. This has been a growth process for me. I've had to step out of my comfort zone and give the big "ask." Two of the major "asks" in my life have been: 1) Asking Jesus Christ to forgive me of my sin and to come into my life to be the forgiver of my sin and leader of my life. I was 13 years old. 2) Asking this drop dead gorgeous Texan out on a first date and then dropping to one knee for her hand in marriage (not on the first date, mind you.) Probably the third biggest ask in my life was my meeting with Dr. Frank Page and the asking of his blessing to start a new church in the Blue Ridge community that we now know as Ridgeview. Now that I think about it, just some months ago had we not asked developer Jeff Randolph to consider our church in O'Neal Village, we would never be where we are today. Someone recently told me as we start the process of raising funds to build our church, "Man, I'm excited about the building but I hate the asking of fundraising." I understand to an extent, but when there is a greater cause behind the ask than one's own self interests, it gives one the boldness to move forward in faith. Ridgeview Church has a great cause: "To be a bridge of God's love to all people." As I will be doing much asking in the next couple of months, that helps me with the boldness. My challenge to anyone reading this blog today: What great things can you ask for; things greater than just yourself but contribute to make the world a better place?

No comments: