Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Scorecard

 
The Scorecard
 
I've been reading a book lately by Reggie McNeal called "Missional Renaissance: Changing the Scorecard for the Church." For many years we've measured success of a church by "nickels" and "noses." We measure how much in tithes and offerings the church receives and how many people attend. All of those things are important. But, one thing that never seems to get measured is how many people are we sending out each week? I've had lots of people ask me over the last five years how many people we were "running." Not one person has ever asked me how many of our people are involved in some kind of externally focused church activity. I believe that's a very important number to measure. It needs to be on the scorecard. 
 
I'd like to share with you this week how Ridgeview Church is sending people out. Pictured above are a few of the thirty sourdough bread bowls from Panera Bread Company. We are getting those out to new movers, new homeowners, people who've visited Ridgeview, kids from Good News Club, teenagers from Release time, etc. We are blessing our community! That's exciting to me!
 
Not only that, this Saturday we will be out at O'Neal Village conducting a free Single Mom's Oil Change. Thanks to everyone who took a "Single Mom's Free Oil Change" stick sign and placed it in the community on Sunday. I received a call just a few hours after they had been placed from a single mom wanting more information. I also received another call today from a single mom. She wanted more information about the free oil change and where it would be located. She shared she had three kids and had lost her job recently. Things are very tough for her. She then asked me a question, "What's the catch?" I had a great opportunity to tell her that the people of Ridgeview Church wanted to bless her life because they wanted her to know God loves her- no strings attached! She will be there Saturday!
 
I am proud of the people at Ridgeview Church. Each week that goes by and each month we are sending people out to be a bridge of God's love to all people. Let's measure our church on how well we are doing in that area. As I said Sunday, we as a church should always be in seeker mode for those far from God. We've got to go to them. By this coming Sunday, we will have done that for the week of June 1-7. Let's put that on the scorecard!
 
Josiah Wilson
 
After church on Sunday me and my family went down to Savannah, Georgia to attend Patrick Knorr's wedding at 5 pm. Patrick was with us for four years at Ridgeview as he went to school and played football for NGU. We spent the night in Savannah and came through Charleston Monday to see Milo and Erin Wilson at MUSC. Tanya was able to go see Josiah in the PCICU. I have a cold and so I didn't go back. We gave them the rest of the love offering our church took up for them. They have been touched greatly by the love, generosity, and prayers of God's people. Please continue to pray for the Wilson family and for Josiah. I would even suggest you fast if you are physically able.
 
You can stay current  with all the latest news on Josiah and how you can pray more informatively at www.thewilsonheart.com.
 
Blessings,
 
Pastor Tommy
 
 

 

No comments: