Tuesday, August 23, 2011


Unchristian

I recently read the book Unchristian by David Kinnamon & Gabe Lyons. Okay, let me be a bit more honest; I read the book summary of Unchristian. It was an interesting read on how Mosaics & Busters (my generation) perceive Christians. There were six themes the authors identified of how Christians are viewed. They are: 1) Hypocritical, 2) Too focused on getting converts, 3) Anti-homosexual, 4) Sheltered, 5) Too political, and 6) Judgmental.

These things may be true, they may not. It doesn't matter. This is how many Christians are viewed. So, what are my thoughts?

As a Christian, God has called me to love him wholeheartedly and to love my neighbor. As an expression of love for all God's people (red, yellow, black, white, gay, straight), I believe the greatest thing I can do for them is to share the good news, the hope of Jesus. Hopefully, my motives are pure and I do it all with love. One of the ways I try to lead in that love is by serving others in the name of Christ. Our church calls them bridge events. Recently, as teachers returned from their summer break, our church provided them an awesome breakfast from Chic-Fil-A. It was a small way to share with them the love of Christ. We had a blast!

The old adage is true; people don't care how much you know (or who you know) until they know how much you care. Caring for people is my way and our church's way to build a bridge to the "unchristian." A bridge that leads to Christ who is perfect in every way and who is not hypocritical, too focused on getting a convert, anti-homosexual, sheltered, political, or judgmental. He's none of those things; he is God who wrapped himself in flesh to rescue all of us from the depravity of our sin and wants us to be in relationship with him.

I acknowledged my sin and need for Jesus' forgiveness about twenty-six years ago. He changed my life. My heart's desire is for all people to come to know this Jesus who is alive and real and is the only way to the Father (John 14:6). I may not convey that message very well at times. But, to those who do not know Jesus, please understand that I am a sinner just like you who has found forgiveness. You can too! His name is Jesus.


No comments: