Thursday, January 18, 2007



Pictured above are two pictures of Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee. Gov. Huckabee at age 47 was diagnosed with type II diabetes. He was overweight and his physician warned him he had about 10 years left to live with his lifestyle. That would get anyone's attention. He underwent a major program of diet and exercise, along with some nutritional supplements, and lost 100 pounds. He eliminated his diabetes and related health risks. He is now on a mission to get Americans to take care of their bodies. BTW, he is a former Southern Baptist pastor and may run for President.

This Sunday, I will continue our series at Ridgeview on "Margin for life." I will sharing about margin (the difference between one's load and one's limit) as it concerns to our physical health. Some people think that's not appropriate sermon topic material. I heartily disagree. The Bible says, "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. (1 Corinthians 6:19,20 NIV)

Christians can denounce the overindulgence of alcohol, but we need to look at the plank in our own eye at times, or should I say the gravy biscuit in our mouths. A recent study done by Purdue University found Christians are more obese than non-Christians and Baptists are the fattest! I believe we need to practice margin in our lives as it pertains to our health so we can glorify God in our bodies and live a healthy lifestyle so that when we say "Here am I Lord send me" we are actually physically able to do it.

Governor Huckabee wrote a book recently called "Quit digging your grave with a knife and fork." He also states that "Nothing tastes as good as it feels to be healthy." How true those words are! I want to live life to the fullest with health and energy for the Lord, giving Him my best. I am also in ministry for the long haul. I must take care of my body with proper rest, exercise, and nutrition. That's not asking too much, is it?

No comments: