Tuesday, July 24, 2007


This morning we began to do what we came to do: “Paint the Town.” We met at the middle school along with the two other churches and began painting the school hallways and classrooms with a nice baby blue color. I spent some time putting tape down around the edges to prep the room for painting and then did most of my painting in the afternoon. I was able to spend some time with two pastors from Houston who are here for this same cause. It has been neat to get to know Dr. Rodney Woo from Wilshire Baptist Church and James ? (sorry, I’ve forgotten his last name) who has planted a church in the Houston area. Unfortunately for me when I returned to the hotel for lunch I received some good natured ribbing from some of the guys claiming I went off and took a nap. It’s going to take some time to get my credibility back!

Pastor Ray from CrossRoads Church here in Staten Island has had several groups do this over at least the last 2 summers. The bridges it has built for him have been incredible. He has been named principal for the day and was also asked to speak at one of the school’s graduation ceremonies. In fact, just today as I was walking into the school 3 police officers were at the front door who are assigned to provide security there. One asked why we were doing this. Once again, good works become the bridge upon which the good news can travel!

I feel our group is getting along well and it’s neat to be here with them. We’re getting ready to go eat supper so it’s time to go.

No comments: