Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Alexis James
Yesterday I received a call bearing tragic news. I was told 10 year old Alexis James died in a car accident on I-26 in Columbia. She was heading with some family friends down to Savannah for a softball tournament. The van's tire blew and caused the vehicle to roll. She died on the way to the hospital.
I had the priviledge of getting to know young Alexis from the Good News Club our church sponsored at Mountain View Elementary after school on Thursdays. She always was so friendly to me and had a vibrant, glowing smile. She was also very competetive. Whether it was answering a Bible question or getting to help the teachers, she had a spunk about her! I had the opportunity of talking with her father yesterday. The family had moved to Knoxville recently. I honestly cannot imagine what the entire family is going through. I read this passage of Scripture this morning as I have been preparing for a sermon message next week. How appropriate these words in times like these.
8We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8-9
16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Please pray for Patrick, Kelly, and Austin James and extended family and friends.

No comments: